Family Values

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Tomorrow will probably be my last post until Sunday or Monday, since I am flying to Pittsburgh on Thursday. Yes, flying, not driving. It's only a 5 hour drive, but as some of you know, the drive from DC to the 'burgh sucks ass. I hate that drive- PA Turnpike, Breezewood (the most gawd-awful town north of the Mason-Dixon).

Anyways, my reason for going to the 'burgh. My little cousin is getting married. Although, he is more like a little brother than a cousin. He's about a year and a half younger than me, so we pretty much grew up together, and since I have no siblings, and his little brother wasn't born until we were in our double-digits, he is the closest thing to a sibling I have. Our dads were stationed pretty close to one another in Germany, so we spent a lot of time together as kids, and when we moved back to the states, both families ended up settling in Pennsylvania (well, after we lived in Jersey and North Carolina). He and I both went to Penn State as well. So we've always been close. And now he's getting married. And she is perfect for him. They have got to be one of the cutest couples I've ever met.

See, our family is a little on the quirky side (wha? me? quirky? NOOOO). Our dads used to torture us. I remember one time, when they were eating pate and Dan and I wanted to try it. So, without us knowing, they put canned cat food on crackers and gave them to us. After we tried it, they told us it was "kitty pate." They also once put a noose around my teddy bear's neck and "hung" her. And they would hold us down and fart on us. Needless to say, Dan and I now have the same similar, strange sense of humor- he is the more laid-back version, and I am the more high-strung version of it.

That being said, it gives me hope that at least one of us could find someone who is willing to put up with the insanity that is our family (us included). So, maybe there's hope for me as well. I'm trying to be optimistic here, instead of just focusing on the fact that it's my little cousin getting married before me.

And the pictures? Weren't we just so damn adorable?


And a more recent one.......
Congratulations Dan and Jenny.

13 comments:

Tara 8/08/2006 09:44:00 AM  

Aw, congratulations go out to him! Have a wonderful time in PA!

J 8/08/2006 09:45:00 AM  

Random, I'm driving to Pittsburgh area for a wedding this weekend as well.

Does your wedding also include the traditional "bridal dance" where all guests pay a dollar to dance with the bride? Why have I never heard of that before?

Kirsten 8/08/2006 09:52:00 AM  

I have heard of the dollar dance, myself...they do that here, at all the weddings...anyways...have a great time at the wedding...relax and just enjoy...
:)Kirsten

sammygeerock 8/08/2006 09:52:00 AM  

GO PITTSBURGH!!!
Mazel Tov to the cuz, have fun!

None 8/08/2006 09:56:00 AM  

Have a safe trip.

minijonb 8/08/2006 10:38:00 AM  

congrats indeed.

have a great time at the wedding!

Ashburnite 8/08/2006 11:20:00 AM  

tara- thanks.

prslave- wow...that's so random. Maybe it's the same wedding? probably not. Yeah, I've seen the "dollar dance" at weddings before- guess it helps the happy couple pay some bills.

kirsten- will do. thanks.

sammy- ick. Pittsburgh.

cody- thanks.

mjb- thanks as well.

Anonymous,  8/08/2006 12:29:00 PM  

Those photos are really too cute.

Ashburnite 8/08/2006 01:02:00 PM  

sweet- thanks. lil cuz and I were so damn adorable.

mgc 8/08/2006 01:22:00 PM  

ash, be safe andhave fun. great pics to btw.

the dollar dance is a way for the bride and groom to make spending money for their honeymoon. see here

Ashburnite 8/08/2006 01:40:00 PM  

mgc- I was wondering where you'd been all day.

Avin 8/08/2006 02:40:00 PM  

Have a good time girl, I am sure it will be fun.

Anonymous,  8/08/2006 07:28:00 PM  

That top photo of you two is just the CUTEST thing! (You can feel me squeezing your cheeks now, can't you?)

Have fun in PA!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP