Laziness

Monday, September 18, 2006

I'm going to apologize ahead of time, since my posts may be a little sporadic for the next few weeks. Someone (in the position above mine) at one of our hotels in Alexandria is leaving, so I will be "taskforcing" at that hotel two days a week. So, I'm not sure whether or not I'll be able to blog. Although, given that the guy who's leaving (we'll call him Dan) is a complete idiot, I think I'll be able to manage.

Here's the basic info: I am a Systems Analyst (SRSA), and the position above me (my boss) is a Director of Revenue (DORM). Part of my job is to run some of the daily reports that the DORM needs. But she still runs a lot of her reports, since it is VERY important for her to see how much revenue we have on the books for the rest of the month, as well as for upcoming months.

So, last Wednesday, I had to go to Alexandria and spend half a day with Dan, so that I'll be able to cover the position until they hire a new DORM. So I got there around 8 AM. Dan's SRSA, "Julie" showed me to his office and pointed out a note that he had left for me. Apparently, he wasn't planning on being there until 10:30, and had some admin work he wanted me to do. Of course, I was fuming. I was there to train for his position, not to do his admin work. But, ok, whatever...I did all of the stuff he left on the list and waited for him to show up. 10:15 comes and he rolls in....apparently some friends had taken him to breakfast...awwww, isn't that sweet.*

Ashburnite: "so, (his boss) wants me to find out what you do on a daily basis."
Dan: "ok, well I take the (daily report that every DORM is supposed to do) and look at (mucho importante data)."
Ash: "oh, so you don't run the (important report) yourself?"
Dan: "No, Julie does it."
Ash: "um...ok."
Dan: "Then I look at (online report)."
Ash: "every day?"
Dan: "yes."
Ash: "umm...isn't that only a weekly report? I think they only pull our data once a week."
Dan: "Ummmmm.......so then I look at this other report....."
Ash: "I think that's a weekly report, too."
Dan: "uhhhh....so I look at it and make sure we're priced well."

At this point, he spends about 10 minutes just staring at the monitor with a blank look on his face (my boss is convinced that he was actually sleeping during that 10 minutes).

Dan: "Then if any of our rates need to be changed, I do that."
Ash: "So what do you do for the other 7 and a half hours of your day?"

I don't think he liked that question. But I don't care. This guy is getting away with doing absolutely nothing. He's having his SRSA run all of his reports, and he's taking the credit for them. And to make matters worse, he is completely arrogant and condescending.

I have a feeling I am going to have a LOT of time to kill in Alexandria.



*can't you just hear the sarcasm?

5 comments:

Rachel 9/18/2006 02:15:00 PM  

I wish that I had a job like that. Unfortunately I am tethered to my desk by a headset.
Too bad we can's sleep at our desks. If I could figure out how to pull that one off I almost wouldn't mind coming to work every day.

Anonymous,  9/18/2006 03:09:00 PM  

Arrrrgh.

I'm not enjoying reading this as I've been putting in overtime preparing for the annual leadership training conference I'm helping put on tomorrow.

A training conference for lawyers, who, as we all know, never need to be told anything by anybody.

You put in an honest day's work for an honest day's pay and wind up feeling like a sucker.

Ah well, at least we can sleep well at night.

Wait a minute, I've also got insomnia.

Arrrrgh. (I think this is where you all came in.)

Ashburnite 9/18/2006 07:31:00 PM  

johnny- I know...I have no idea how he gets away with it. Especially since every other DORM I know works their asses off.

rachel- if he gives away the secret to sleeping at his desk with his eyes open, I will definitely let you know how it's done. I'm quite curious myself.

elvis- ok, now I know I got into the wrong business.

None 9/19/2006 07:53:00 AM  

Ah, interviewing for his own job. That's a moment straight out of Office Space.

Anonymous,  9/21/2006 02:30:00 PM  

Yeah, you can definitely cover for his lame ass. Better yet, why don't they just give you HIS "job" since you could probably do it with your eyes closed?

I'm tired of hearing stories about how LITTLE management actually accomplishes on a daily basis. Their staff does all the work, they steal all the glory but when it comes time to laud or promote the staff that makes them look good? We get bupkus.

But I'm sure if we asked them to do OUR jobs everyday, the place would go straight to hell.

Wow, am I venting or what?? ;)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP