TV = Real Life?

Thursday, September 21, 2006


Two of my favorite shows premiere tonight and it's funny how, even though they are fictional characters and a script, I can't help but notice how they mimic real life. Take the romances on Grey's Anatomy and The Office. Both shows left us with similar, love-triangle cliffhangers last season. And the cliffhanger is a decision that a lot of us have had to make (or will have to make) in our lives.

On Grey's Anatomy, Meredith has to chose between McDreamy, the man she is head-over heels for; and Finn, the sweet, thoughtful guy who will treat her like a queen. McDreamy doesn't deserve her and has only hurt her, but she's in love with him. Finn is great and worships her, but she isn't in love with him. And on the Office, Pam has to choose between Jim, who she has a great connection with and who is in love with her, and her fiance, a schmuck who barely notices her but she's in love with.

So what do these women do? Do they go with their heads and pick the guy who really deserves to be with them and will treat them great? Or do they go with their hearts and pick the guy who they're in love with, even if he doesn't deserve their love? Do you give up on true love in exchange for being treated the way you deserve to be? What would you do?

15 comments:

Carl Spackler 9/21/2006 08:32:00 PM  

i want the girl from ashburn.

KassyK 9/21/2006 09:00:00 PM  

I always end up following my heart and not my head but I think there is a middle ground and you shouldn't settle for someone that loves you if you don't love them AND vice versa. Just my two cents. :-)

None 9/21/2006 10:33:00 PM  

Please, no spoilers on GA. I'm still watching season two. I should probably upgrade my netflix so I can get the discs faster.

Ally 9/21/2006 11:27:00 PM  

I wouldn't settle--pass on them both and wait for both love/good treatment in the same man.

Aliecat 9/22/2006 08:34:00 AM  

I've always followed my heart...and it's never ended up good...stupid heart...

Ashburnite 9/22/2006 08:55:00 AM  

spacks- hmmm...really? and which girl from ashburn would that be?

kassy- I think you're right...you shouldn't settle either way. After all, there has to be someone out there for all of us- and when you find that person, I think they will be perfect (for you) in every way.

cody- ooohhh...season 2 was great! Don't worry, no spoilers here.

ally- yeah, I think you're right. And it looks like that's what Pam did on the Office...Jim is gone and she didn't marry the oaf.

aliecat- you and me both. My heart has extremely bad taste.

DCVita 9/22/2006 09:54:00 AM  

I think love chooses you, not the other way around. So no matter what our minds say, our hearts will always lead the way. Which is why so many of us are screwed :P

Beakerz 9/22/2006 10:04:00 AM  

you didn't take my poll =( But I agree with Kass that the heart has an awfully strong pull that makes my head spin. Though, given her past relationship ....

Anonymous,  9/22/2006 11:06:00 AM  

TV = fantasy land. Although I admit you can draw a lot of correlations between the nonsense that goes on screen and your everyday life. But love stories on TV never seem realistic to me.

Anonymous,  9/22/2006 11:15:00 AM  

I'd go for McDreamy and Jim, total opposite scenarios!

Rachel 9/22/2006 06:04:00 PM  

I tend to follow my head and not my heart. That way I don't get so hurt and I don't act the fool either.
Is this really the third season for Grey's Anatomy? I could swear that last year was the first season.
Am I losing my mind?

Anonymous,  9/22/2006 06:33:00 PM  

It's a shame that these aspects have to come in two separate packages. But it makes for great drama, doesn't it?

I was so afraid I wouldn't enjoy Grey's last night but it was much more tolerable than I thought it would be. I wanted to deck Meredith for hitting up McDreamy again.

mgc 9/23/2006 02:08:00 AM  

i need a gaydar machine!

Unknown 9/23/2006 10:04:00 PM  

You don't settle for either, you take both or nothing my dear.

White Dade 9/25/2006 04:34:00 PM  

YOu know what I would do? Writye a post with the results for those of us that don't have DVR's anymore. that owuld be appreciated.

And ocne agian validating my point that nice guys ALWAYS lose.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP