Crazy friends

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

I finally realize why I've been feeling like such a basket-case lately: I have no crazy friends.

In junior high I learned the importance of the crazy friend. If you are even slightly off-balance, this friend is essential. While you are dealing with whatever neurosis ails you- OCD in my case, the crazy friend is talking to ants, spinning around in circles, or licking windows. Or, if you're lucky, you'll have a few crazy friends. That way, you are the sane one of the group. There is nothing quite as comforting as being the sane one in your group of friends. Now, I am not saying to get rid of your sane friends- afterall, if you are around crazies all the time, it's bound to rub off on you.

But hanging around the crazies doesn't come without a cost. That cost being drama. And lots of it. One of the crazies from my past was this guy I worked with at a restaurant in college. Mike was really good looking and very sweet. He got me (probably b/c he was crazier than me). This guy had some heavy shit going on in his personal life. His girlfriend (who lived with him and also worked at the same restaurant) had cheated on him. With his best friend. Who also worked with us. Think that's bad? It was a threesome with another co-worker. A female co-worker. Yeah, pretty messed up. He was on every anti-depressant imaginable. He was still willing to try to make things work with her.

I felt bad for him. Until I realized that he was an idiot. He kept going back for more. (I know- who am I to talk). And he fed off everyone feeling sorry for him. He wallowed in self-pity.

Even still, I was attracted to him and we had some chemistry. We kept fighting it, worried it would ruin things if we acted on it. Then one night we were both extremely drunk. He wanted to come back to my place. I distinctly remember asking "are you sure?" I don't remember the hookup that night, but the next morning when we woke up and realized what we had done, his response was "well, we already hooked up. We may as well do it again so we remember whether or not it was good." And it was. Very good.

After that, he got really weird around me. He didn't call anymore. He quit his job and moved back to Phily with his mom. A few months later, I saw him on AIM, so I messaged him. He suddenly started laying into me for "ruining our friendship." What. The. Fuck. So I stopped caring about his feelings and put it all on the table. Told him that it takes two, and reminded him that HE was the one who initiated. He said he was drunk and I took advantage of him. WHAT??!! I was just as drunk, if not more so. I also reminded him that he wasn't so drunk the next morning when he suggested we do it again. Twice.

The moral of the story? Crazies are great for your self-esteem. As long as you don't get caught up in any of their drama.

3 comments:

Nicole 3/16/2006 12:23:00 PM  

That's the same as slightly pretty women wishing they had an ugly friend to bolster them in the looks category, right? ;)

Hell, if you're in need of crazies, I've got MORE than enough to spare! What's your mailing address...?

Kirsten 3/16/2006 01:14:00 PM  

heheheh...why u think I talk to you, girl??

Ahhhh...just kiddin...but you are so right...its funny how we think like that...as ngregory said, with the ugly friend, or the fat friend, or the....fill in the blank. Women...we are soo catty, don't ya think??...lol...talk to ya later...
:)Just me

Ashburnite 3/16/2006 07:17:00 PM  

Nicole..yeah, I think some of us even do that subconsciously.

Kirsten...really? damn, that's why I was chatting with you :-). and yes, we are all so catty

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP