Dumbest Idea Ever

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Not sure if you all have heard about this yet, but the newest trend in jewelry is the "roach brooch." This has got to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. The last hotel I worked at was in Georgetown, and while the property values in Georgetown are completely outrageous, there is a huge cockroach problem. I used to see roaches in our parking garage whose sheer size would scare most people. And those were normal cockroaches. Yet some genius decided to use Madagascar Hissing cockroaches (MUCH larger than your normal, garden-variety roaches), attach "jewels' with a hot glue gun, and market them to idiotic "trend addicts" as jewelry. What I want to know is who the hell is buying these. Here's an idea: go to any city apartment building, find yourself a cockroach, buy a "bedazzler" and make your own roach broach. What's worse is that people are paying $80 per roach. Are you kidding me??!! I personally have no desire to have one of these crawling all over me:

10 comments:

None 3/25/2006 11:25:00 PM  

I saw this yesterday on CNN. The roach was crawling all over the girl. Why don't they just kill the roach? You still get the shock value of a bedazzled roach, and you don't have to worry about it hiding between your tits.

Of course, I guess the bag lady down the street is ahead of her time.

Ashburnite 3/25/2006 11:32:00 PM  

cody...good point...and for those of us with larger breasts, a cockroach would probably smother and die there anyways.

Anonymous,  3/25/2006 11:49:00 PM  

First, I'm shocked that they're ONLY charging $80 for these.

Second, who's the one that's forced to spend TIME gluing rhinestones to roaches??

Ashburnite 3/25/2006 11:54:00 PM  

I sincerely hope that person is being paid VERY well.
I used to RUN from the Georgetown roaches, so I don't think I could touch them

Lebatron 3/26/2006 12:22:00 AM  

I continue to lose faith in most of humanity. While you're at it, ashburnite, I've recently written a new article. I would love to have a female's opinion on it.

Laila K 3/26/2006 12:37:00 PM  

ewwww.that's so disturbingly freaky dreaky ..it's torture if you ask me..people and their weird fetishes..

girl 3/26/2006 02:04:00 PM  

Oh! I just saw these roaches used on the latest episode of America's Next Top Model. Totally thought they made it up to torture the models!

Ashburnite 3/26/2006 04:37:00 PM  

lebatron- you and me both. I lose a little faith in humanity every single day. Every time I step outside the house, something reminds me that people are complete idiots.

laila- my thoughts exactly. I remember how letting cockroaches crawl on you was part of "Fear Factor." Now people are doing it in the name of fashion? I think that's one trend I will definitely pass on.

shirley- I thought that too when I saw last week's ANTM; then I saw it on CNN. I was hoping it wouldn't catch, but by Saturday I was seeing it all over the web.

Tara 3/27/2006 12:37:00 PM  

Hmm. Yeah. No thanks, I'll stick to non-bug jewelry.

I saw a fair share of cockroaches while helping with hurricane cleanup back in college. When I got home I was watching TV. I felt something hit my neck and I panicked and swiped whatever it was off of me. Here it was one of dangly earrings, but I thought it was a cockroach that followed me home.

Anonymous,  4/12/2006 09:28:00 AM  

Actually these hissers make pretty interesting pets, being TOTAlly HARMLESS... these remarks seem to me to be the lack of insect education... Not that I agree with the whole Leash/Jewlery aspect.. But hey why not?? If leash was removable & the creature is placed in a safe little keeper with food and water when not in use it could easily live 1 Year or more... People only fear what is different.. Oh yea did I mention I am a Zoo Keeper with a Masters in Bio. & Antimology...and just an all around Insect/Animal :o)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP