Guess I don't matter....

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

So this year (at work) is not starting off well at all. Before I tell you what is going on, let me first start with some background on my job. I am a systems analyst- which in the hotel business means that I am responsible for running all of the reports that let sales and catering managers know how well (or not well) they are performing. I also am responsible for monitoring group performance, as well as setting up new users in our systems. My job requires a lot of concentration- especially for someone with severe A.D.D. I need peace and quiet to do it well. If I mess up, people don't get their bonuses (boo hoo, by the way...I don't get a bonus). I am also responsible for forecasting our short-term revenue, as well as the full year's catering revenue. And for some reason, unknown to everyone who knows what I actually do, my position is hourly- so I am not a manager. But, since I work in the executive office, and not an admin, people think I am a manager- therefore, I have to behave like one and "set an example."

That being said, recently, my hotel created a new position for our sales admin (which she very much deserved), making her a manager. Only, there are not enough offices in the hotel for more managers. Most people share offices. Up until today, I was in a great office, with a huge window, and a fantastic (quiet) office mate. But since I am not a manager, and we have a manager now without an office, I was forced to move. I am now in the admin area, along with our meetings concierge (who is pretty cool), our new sales admin, our business travel manager and her assistant. Five of us in a relatively open area. Next to the fax machines, printers, filing cabinets, and supplies. Oh, and the travel manager and her assistant? They talk constantly. Seriously. Neither of them can shut up for more than 5 minutes. And the travel manager is completely computer illiterate- she still cannot attach a file to an email without asking for help. Don't get me wrong- everyone in my "office" is very nice- just some a little annoying.

The simple fact is that I was moved because I am not a manager...therefore, my ability to do my job does not matter. So much for the little guy. Now my only "divider" is a filing cabinet being used as a "wall."

I know that I am being whiny, but seriously- wouldn't you be upset??

12 comments:

Anonymous,  1/03/2007 12:38:00 AM  

My whole department had to move floors and we are now all stuck in this low wall cubicle area that offers zero privacy. Believe me, I feel your pain. Also we're on the opposite side of the building which takes away our soothing ocean view and, on a clear day, New York City. I now have to walk through sever secure doors to get a glimpse of what we all enjoyed just by turning around in the old days. It really sucks. I'm sorry about this move. You can always gag the people who won't shut up. But HR may not like it.

Anonymous,  1/03/2007 08:57:00 AM  

Sounds to me like you are another living representation of a Dilbert Cartoon. You should send this one into Scott Adams!

Carrie M 1/03/2007 09:23:00 AM  

is there any chance of you getting promoted to a manager? what you do is pretty important - hello, sales projections? i work in the meetings industry so i know how important catering is to a hotel (what's up $15-a-person-for a-bagel-and-coffee-set).

i would absolutely be upset too. maybe there's a way to bring it up to your supervisor - that you need a bit more quiet and you're not sure how to accomplish that?

i'm a 'fixer', hence the unsolicited advice. :-)

Anonymous,  1/03/2007 09:45:00 AM  

I have the same problems concentrating on my work. I bought some of those headphones that eliminate background noise so I just listen to music and pretend like I'm the only person there.

Anonymous,  1/03/2007 12:01:00 PM  

I have been stuck in cubicle land for the past 9 years. They continually reduce the size of our desks to the point that when we are training someone they have to sit in the aisle as there isn't enough room.
We have low walls and are in "squares" where there are 4 people in a space each facing a different corner. This continues throughout the entire floor that I am on.
I will seriously have to take a photo and post in on my blog. It is true Dilbertland.

Anonymous,  1/03/2007 03:30:00 PM  

Here's an idea... let your performance drop significantly. Blame it on the new arrangement. Then demand a private office. That'll work, right? Yeah... maybe not.

Anonymous,  1/03/2007 07:36:00 PM  

i understand your plight all too well my dear.
sometimes we get slighted for no reason we can comprehend other than i guess that's the way the world works. : \

Melissa 1/03/2007 07:49:00 PM  

Yep. I'd be mad. Want me to come and "straighten them out?" If they touch me, they're dead though. DEAD!

Tara 1/04/2007 05:50:00 PM  

You bet to hell I'd be upset! Thankfully I haven't had to move, but a girl did have to share an office (and a desk) with me awhile back because we didn't have the proper space. We had some great times, but it was very clostrophobic and frustrating at times, and the managers didn't help. Our school's manager would get mad and get even whenever I brought up our lack of space. I was about ready to quit because of that.

Carl Spackler 1/05/2007 10:11:00 AM  

i would be mad as hell. maybe you should ask them if there is another alternative...or promote you to manager!

Anonymous,  1/07/2007 12:53:00 AM  

*Managers in your company have offices.
*There is a manager without an office.
*You are not a manager and have an office.

As a result of all of the above you are now without an office.

You shouldn't feel put down. It is just company policy.

Imagine if you had gotten a promotion to manager and you'd gotten stiffed for an office. That'd suck.

Anonymous,  1/07/2007 12:59:00 AM  

I also recommend Bose earphones. There have been ads for them on TV. They work very well. They block out most of the outside sounds.

If you can, get a wireless set. That way you don't have to worry about giving yourself whiplash, which happens sometimes if you have corded headphones and move to get a file or something without removing them first.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP