An open letter to Comedy Central

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Dearest Comedy Central (CC),

We've been together for a long time, and it pains me to write this, but I think we have reached the end of this relationship. You used to be so great. I could watch you for hours. You had great comedians and shows that were actually funny. You showed reruns of "Saturday Night Live" and "Who's Line is it Anyways?" And on weekends you showed funny movies. I could always count on you for great programming.

But lately, you've been slipping. You switched from SNL to "Mad TV." Now, I know Mad TV was probably cheaper, but was it worth it? It will always just be a cheap imitation of the real thing. You switched from a name-brand toilet paper to a scratchy generic one. But, I loved you, so I hung in there. I gave you a second chance- namely because you still had "The Daily Show," which more than made up for your lapse in judgment.

Then you stopped showing funny comedians (like Dennis Leary and Dennis Miller), and started showing hacks like the big guy from "Last Comic Standing" and Larry the Cable Guy. And you gave up the funny movies for shitty 80's movies. Even "South Park" stopped being funny. But, still, we had such a long history that I couldn't just walk away. I still loved you and didn't want to face reality.

But you've gone too far and I don't think that I can look at you with respect any more. First, you start showing "Blue Collar Comedy Tour" every weekend. Then, you add "Blue Collar TV" to your programming. Blue Collar? Seriously? Do you really find that funny? And now...this is completely shameful. I'm embarrassed to be seen with you, CC. Embarrassed and ashamed. "Naked Trucker and T-Bone?" Where did you come up with this garbage? You've become "Redneck Central." Either way, this is the end.

So, CC, I'm sorry, but I just can't do this any more. We've been living a lie- pretending that things were still the same. I'll still drop in once in a while for "Scrubs" re-runs, and the occasional quickie with Jon Stewart, but I can't see you more often than that. Please, take care of yourself. I'll miss you, but I'm sure this is for the best.

18 comments:

Anonymous,  1/23/2007 08:43:00 PM  

Oh, that new show looks horrible. I can't bring myself to do anything more than shake my head at the stupidity of the commercial. Ugh.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who hates Mad TV.

Anonymous,  1/24/2007 09:38:00 AM  

Blue Collar Comedy Tour is horrendous, and I'm from the south. How anyone finds that funny is a mystery. And you're right, replacing SNL with Mad TV was the beginning of the end. I do enjoy the Scrubs reruns though.

Sam 1/24/2007 09:53:00 AM  

While I do, in general agree with your depression regarding CC, I do not think it is as bad as it seems.

For one, I don't think Blue Collar TV is on anymore (it hurt my soul when my dad said he liked that shit), and I'm pretty sure they've said they're (the four of them) are done with the schtick. I can't speak to the Naked Trucker show, but I interpreted it at least a little bit like satire on Blue Collar; for one, it has David Koechner, who is consistently funny (as opposed to Foxworthy or Larry), for two, they're much more bombastic about their Hickhood, which would imply satire. I'll try and watch it tonight, but I should warn you, I'm going to be very drunk.

Secondly, South Park has become more hit or miss, but when it hits, it fucking hits. The two-episode Cartoon Wars in April 06 was a brilliant arc, as were the ones where Ike slept with his teacher and Cartman went to the future to get a Wii.

Their movie selection has indeed gotten worse, but I partly blame that on the lack of really good comedies. I guess they finally went, "okay, we can't keep showing Pecker... what else do we have?" And they come up with Bowfinger. Oh well.

The swapping of Mad TV for SNL is unforgivable, and is probably to number one reason I stopped watching a lot of CC and instead opted for Sportscenter. But conversely, their picking up of Scrubs was a great call - a call they made after picking up Mad TV. So they can't be all dumb over there.

What I'm saying is, they've fallen in some ways, but they've also found ways to retain my viewership. And I can't believe you didn't mention Colbert. Single biggest reason I continue to go back to them. He had Bill O'Reilly on last week! It was amazing. It was probably better than being drunk.

Carrie M 1/24/2007 10:17:00 AM  

way to be strong, ash!

Anonymous,  1/24/2007 10:39:00 AM  

Yeah I'm only coming back for Jon Stewart too.

Anonymous,  1/24/2007 10:58:00 AM  

Don't forget Colbert! He's my hero.

Anonymous,  1/24/2007 11:32:00 AM  

They've got the Daily Show, Colbert and......that's it as of now. Everything else has pretty much slid down a few notches. And Mad TV? How does that stay on? Who watches that?

Anonymous,  1/24/2007 11:43:00 AM  

Good luck in your post-CC life =;-)

...and you could always start a fling with VH1

Anonymous,  1/24/2007 01:42:00 PM  

Dear Ash:

I'm crushed.

As of next Thursday I'm doing a complete makeover.

Tragedy Central.

And it's all your fault.

You have until then to change your mind. Until then I'm going to hold my breath until all my electrons turn blue. That'll show you I'm serious.

Broken-heartedly,

CC

Anonymous,  1/24/2007 02:01:00 PM  

The Scrubs reruns seem to be a huge hit at CC. I have been watching them every night as I eat dinner. I only watch CC for the scrubs and I tivo Daily Show and Colbert Report everynight. The Demetri Martin special the other night was kind of funny as well.

I am also in agreement that the switch to MadTV was nearly unforgiveable. How long has that been now? Several years.

I don't want to get into the monstrosity that is Carlos Mencia.

Anonymous,  1/24/2007 04:35:00 PM  

The Demetri Martin hour-long special that was on recently was pretty funny. It'll be on again at 10 on Monday night. Otherwise, it's just the Daily, the Report and Scubs for me too.

Every once in a while, flipping through channels, you'll catch Mitch Hedberg or someone worthwhile, but it's no longer a destination of choice for me either.

Anonymous,  1/24/2007 04:36:00 PM  

Forgot to mention that Sarah Silverman has a new show that debuts next week as well. That may be worth your time.

Anonymous,  1/26/2007 02:40:00 PM  

Comedy Central lost me when they gave Tucker Max a development deal.

Anonymous,  1/29/2007 09:36:00 AM  

Different people have different tastes. What I enjoy the most is how you can morph a discussion on the quality of content on a comedy cable channel into an expression of your personal ignorance and bigotry. I'm always amused by you NIA! Keep on showing the world the depth of your character!

Anonymous,  1/29/2007 11:16:00 AM  

I miss old South Park.

David in DC 1/29/2007 03:30:00 PM  

"What I enjoy the most is how you can morph a discussion on the quality of content on a comedy cable channel into an expression of your personal ignorance and bigotry."

Someone needs his binky, and a good long nap.

Tara 1/30/2007 12:38:00 PM  

Don't forget the "Sarah Silverman" show. Ugh. The previews to that one and The Naked Trucker irritate me beyond belief. I kind of like MadTV and I love "The Daily Show" and "Bill Engvall: Here's Your Sign". I also like the Friday Night Standup, but I think they need to put that on sooner and play it longer with good comedians. Don't make me wait till 10pm to see Dane Cook or Jim Gaffigan.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP