The roommate chronicles Part I

Thursday, January 04, 2007

So I've had some very interesting roommates throughout my life, so I thought I'd share some of the stories with all of you. Hope some of my roommate nightmares entertain you (and make you feel a little better about some of the ones you've had).

Roommate #1- 1st Semester Freshman year- Talisha (aka. "The Militant")
My first semester no dorms were available, so I ended up having to live in off-campus housing (which the school semi-arranged). I was extremely naive and innocent and still believed that everything was puppies and sunshine. Even after living all over the place and finally settling in rural PA (in the 3rd grade), I was still very sheltered. The town that I grew up in was 99.99% WASP, so I was never exposed to racism. My parents also taught me to never judge people by their appearance, race or beliefs. So race was never a thought in my mind.

Until I moved in with Talisha. She made it abundantly clear that she hated white girls the day I moved in. How? By telling me "I hate perky white bitches like you." Subtle. I remember hearing her on the phone the day I moved in saying "they put me with some skinny white cheerleader. No, I wish I was kidding." She was rude to me at every turn. Any notes she left were addressed to "white girl." And the thing is, I was never anything but nice to her. Granted, I have no idea what her life was like, but she was from Pittsburgh, not Detroit. Luckily for me, I had decided to pledge a sorority, so I was never home after the first month of school. And I spent the rest of my time at my pledge sisters' houses. I didn't want to go home. I stopped there every once in a while to pick up mail and get clean clothes.

During the time that we lived together, Tupac died. She wouldn't leave the house for a week. I would hear her crying, or on the phone sobbing and saying "why?" To this day, I honestly don't understand. I don't think she was related or even knew him, so why so upset? Seriously people, how is it someone could mourn a celebrity's death like that? At least Princess Di helped people, so I could understand mourning her.

Anyways, thank gawd that a dorm opened up for me second semester. One of my sorority sisters and I moved in together. And she was a whole 'nother story.

15 comments:

Anonymous,  1/04/2007 09:31:00 PM  

"Talisha" sounds loud, obnoxious and flat out ghetto. Not all black people act like that.

Anonymous,  1/05/2007 06:42:00 AM  

I'm guessing that you no longer think everything is puppies and sunshine (nice adaptation of a House line). I consider myself lucky that I have never had a roommate. It seems perfectly rational to hate somebody without even knowing them (psycho). I can't wait to see what's next.

Anonymous,  1/05/2007 10:04:00 AM  

I've had some pretty interesting roommates, myself. Definitely looking forward to the rest of this series.

Carl Spackler 1/05/2007 10:12:00 AM  

you should have blasted country music whenever she was around. maybe hang up posters of the KKK.

NotCarrie 1/05/2007 11:05:00 AM  

Yikes! That's terrible, especially for your first semester. Without going into the long story, my senior year roommate sucked and was devestated when Aaliyah died. I didn't know what to do so I just left.

Ashburnite 1/05/2007 11:24:00 AM  

golden silence- yeah, she was very ghetto. and the thing is, I'm pretty sure she was from the subburbs of Pittsburgh.

alien- yeah, not so much.

lmnt- thanks. it should be pretty interesting

spacks- haha....not so much.

notcarrie- yikes. Aaliyah, really? I remember thinking "wow, that's really sad. but mourning? wow.

Anonymous,  1/05/2007 11:53:00 AM  

Hmm, I believe I was the Asian version of you when I went to college. My first semester roommate was this goth chick from Russia who worshipped the Doors and had loud sex with strangers. I came from suburbia and had a pink bedspread.

Anonymous,  1/05/2007 02:02:00 PM  

I never got why people worshipped Tupac the way they did. I guess his music was ok, but I thought his was a hypocrit who constantly contradicted himself.

honeykbee 1/05/2007 03:50:00 PM  

I once had a roomate who was severely whacked out-- example: she regularly watered our plastic plant. She was also so paranoid that people were eating her food that she wrote her name on each individual egg. I wasn't eating her food initially, but once I saw her name on each egg I couldnt help but have me a nice Nina omelet.

Anonymous,  1/05/2007 04:42:00 PM  

What, no fist fight? I got into a knock down drag out fight with my first roommate. It ended in a draw.
My friend Jade was really sad when Tupac died just because she had a HUGE crush on him.
If Snoop Dogg died she would probably go into mourning for a bit.
Discrimination is alive and well. Too bad that everyone still thinks that it is always whites against minorities rather than the other way around.

Jada 1/06/2007 01:02:00 PM  

I would go into mourning if Thom Yorke died. Fuck! I don't even like writing that. Now I must go knock on wood for the next hour.

Carrie M 1/08/2007 11:42:00 AM  

you mean, life *isn't* puppies and sunshine?! ;-)

seriously though, how ridiculous that you had to live with a roommate like that. and good for you that you didn't let her closemindedness affect your open mind. i think this series will be an entertaining one though!

Anonymous,  1/08/2007 01:20:00 PM  

I had a friend who bugged out when Kurt Cobain died. She put all of her Nirvana stuff and a video about his death in a box under her bed.

Anonymous,  1/10/2007 03:57:00 PM  

No, not all of us are like that. My freshman year roomie was a cool white dude from Jersey who I split a bottle of vodka with the first night. I had never been drunk before. Anything stupid I've done while drunk is officially his fault. :-)

Phantom 5/19/2007 05:31:00 AM  

I'm back and I agree with another blogger who said that she sounds ghetto. I hate that your eposure to blacks was such as nightmare, but then again, the world is vast. Even if you lived in an all-white enviornment, you parents could have exposed you to positive multi-racial/cultural groups. There's no excuse for an of us who are underexposed to a group to judge all of them by one bad experience. I am not saying that you are.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP