Nextel Etiquette

Friday, June 30, 2006

I work in a rather large hotel, and it seems that half the staff has company Nextels. While I think that the whole "direct connect" thing can come in handy, especially for businesses, I have started to notice how inconsiderate people are when using it. My office in two doors down and across the hall from our conference room. Without fail, every day someone who is in a meeting gets "chirped" and goes out into the hallway to take the call. While they are being considerate to the other people in the meeting, they are being extremely rude to those of us in the offices who then have to listen to the entire 30 minute back-and-forth on speakerphone. It's annoying enough to be forced to listen to one person on a cell phone, but to be forced to listen to both sides of the conversation? I usually end up getting up and loudly closing my office door (not slamming- I HATE when people slam doors).

And it doesn't stop with work. I go to the grocery store and hear people on Nextels. Here's an idea, people: when someone "chirps" you, CALL THEM BACK!! I really don't want to hear that your husband needs hemorrhoid cream while I'm trying to figure out which fruits have the lowest number of calories. It seems that people are becoming more and more self-absorbed and less considerate of the people around them.

I have Sprint service and a new "Ready Link" capable phone. And I actually considered getting the service, but have decided against it for several reasons:
1. Like I said, it's very inconsiderate to other people. Plus, I don't even like people hearing my side of a conversation.
2. Between the unlimited texting, unlimited internet usage, picture mail, free in-network calling, and no roaming charges, my bill is already WAY too padded with extra charges. But these are all things that I absolutely need (or, at least I've convinced myself that I need them).
3. I wouldn't want to be in the middle of something* and have my dad's voice come over the phone. Yes, I know you can turn the direct connect feature off at any time, but I can barely remember to put underwear on most of the time, so the chances of me remembering to do that are pretty damn slim.
4. I hate the way my voice sounds on speakerphone.

So, people...PLEASE, I'm begging you...if you have a Nextel/Sprint phone, and you use Direct Connect/Ready Link.....think of the fact that the people around you really don't want to hear your girlfriend talk about her sore nipples. Be courteous and call the person.

*go where ever you would like with that one.

And speaking of, I have a new phone....it's cute, and yes, IT'S PINK!! Make fun of me all you want, but I happen to love pink, and I love my new phone.

7 comments:

I-66 6/30/2006 10:40:00 AM  

You too with the texting and browsing? I don't have a pink phone, preferring this instead, but I get a lot of mileage out of text and browsing...

Oh, and nights starting at 6pm.

Raincouver 6/30/2006 12:27:00 PM  

Oh no! A pink phone!!!! Well, it's summer, after all. Enjoy it!

:-)

None 6/30/2006 01:12:00 PM  

I hate cell phones.

Kirsten 6/30/2006 03:26:00 PM  

hey...i have nextel, and when someone direct connects to me, if im in public, I hit the speaker phone, to make it private...lord knows, I don't need the world hearing my hubby needs hemorroid cream for gods sake...lol...have a great weekend, I guess I won't talk to ya...and have a safe 4th of July....
:)Just me

Avin 6/30/2006 03:47:00 PM  

I dont think I will ever have that direct connect nonsense. I am already way to absorbed with my sidekick and cell phone combo to have folks chirping me too.

Anonymous,  6/30/2006 11:15:00 PM  

Eric brought up the point that direct connect seems useless nowadays. Is it really all that much more efficient than just speed dialing someone?

NotCarrie 7/04/2006 10:01:00 PM  

Ugh I hear the damn Nextel chirps all the time at work. I loathe them and refuse to use them.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP