MySpace Blog, Toilet Brush, and Verbiage

Wednesday, August 16, 2006


White Dade touched on this briefly today, and it got me thinking about MySpace blogs. Who actually considers them real blogs? There are very few people who's MySpace blogs can actually be considered blogs. Most are just whiney, angsty losers. Of course I exclude any of my blogger friends who maintain both a MySpace blog and a "real" blog. But for those who say "oh, I'm a blogger," and are referring to their MySpace page- suck it.

One of those losers in question is my former roommate, Toilet Brush (I promise, one of these days I will tell all of you about the nickname). She's one of those "I'm so dark and angry and cool" people. Now, if you are actually dark and angry, good for you- far be it from me to judge. But what does annoy me is people who play it up because they think it makes them "different." As a guy I went out with a few times said after meeting her, "what a fucking poser." Her claim was that she was "goth." Hmmm...correct me if I'm wrong, but people who are actually goth consider themselves that because they don't conform to traditional views of beauty. So they most certainly wouldn't go out and spend almost 20 grand on plastic surgery (boob job, lipo, and a tummy tuck), would they? And who the hell wants to go from a D-cup to a DD? Personally, I hate lugging around my "almost D-cups."

But the point of this post is not to tell you what a tart she was. See, Toilet Brush considered her MySpace blog to be a real blog. But here's what it actually was- a place where she posted bitter, non-sensical blurbs about why she hated everyone. Honestly, I have never met anyone as bitter as her. And she did so in multi-colored, multi-font shit.

One such post made me laugh at what a complete idiot she was. The post had two parts; the first was her bitching about the terminology "African-American." Basically, she was bitching that most black people in America are not from Africa. Whatever your view of that phrase is, most of us can respect a person's choice to be referred to by that widely accepted term. The entire first part of the post was her bitching about political correctness, and how stupid it is. I will agree, that in some cases, yes it is. Here's the kicker though. The second part of the post was a rant about people using the term "Spanish" when referring to Latin Americans. Her argument (if you can call it that) was that most people in that category aren't from Spain. She even was kind enough to break down the countries that were in Central and South America. How nice of her. What Toilet Brush failed to realize, though, was that the term "Spanish" is a language classification, not a country of origin classification. I am not blessed with the ability to deduce a person's country of origin just by looking at them, so I would certainly not refer to someone as "Salvadoran" or "Guatemalan." So I use the term "Spanish," since they are from a country who's primary language is Spanish.

I wouldn't have been so annoyed by the "blog" post if she hadn't contradicted herself so completely in the same post, thus proving what a complete idiot she is. Basically, in her eyes, we need to be politically correct when referring to Spanish people, but not when it comes to African-Americans.

16 comments:

Tara 8/16/2006 10:14:00 PM  

Yeah, I post stuff on the MySpace "blog", but I certainly don't consider that blogging. It's kind of joke to call it a blog. It's more like a bulletin. When I've had too much wine, though, or if I'm feeling very sensitive, I will send a bulletin out about that wannabe blog and complain that nobody's responding to useless information. I don't do that on my real blog. And that there is probably too much information. Lol.

Beakerz 8/17/2006 08:52:00 AM  

Is the girl on the video F'n retarded?

(Please tell me that isn't you)

as for myspaz, never been a fan. Those 'blogs' have such a shitty template and most definately! are losers.

"Get some creativity people"

Anonymous,  8/17/2006 08:54:00 AM  

"What is Bloggsnobbery and its' relation to High-horse Jinx?"
Discuss.

Though not in a MySpace forum as only serious entries need apply!

Devils Advocate

Ashburnite 8/17/2006 08:57:00 AM  

tara- I definitely wouldn't lump you in that group, since you don't consider that a blog; and you have a real blog that kicks ass :-)

needtsza- which video? the one from a few days ago? It's the "famous" Britney video- I know, what a retard; but I would kill to have a body like that.

DCVita 8/17/2006 09:09:00 AM  

Yah, you can't be real on a MySpace blog! I have this whole thing about CrackSpace anyways...use at your discretion!

Anonymous,  8/17/2006 09:30:00 AM  

dcvita

http://www.crackedouthiphop.com/

or

http://www.philipkdickfans.com/covers/crackspa.jpg

da

KassyK 8/17/2006 09:45:00 AM  

Yes- I agree...Myspace blogging is usually more "journaling" than blogging. A huge part of blogging is the interaction with readers etc. and connections to other bloggers in the area (or people around the world). A place where you rant about crap just to rant is not a blog...

Betty 8/17/2006 11:27:00 AM  

I am so over myspace. I had to card my date last night b/c of myspace.

Ashburnite 8/17/2006 11:54:00 AM  

anon- ok.....

dcv- yeah, there are so many things on my blog that I wouldn't want my "real-life" friends reading.

anon2- again, ok.....

kk- exactly!

betty- please tell me he ended up being legal!

mgc 8/17/2006 12:12:00 PM  

what's myspace? is that on the internet?

White Dade 8/17/2006 02:33:00 PM  

I have to disagree with you on the "Spanish" thing. While I am by no means a Latino apologist, I do bleieve in getting it right. If I am going to rip an ethnic group, I make damn sure I know who they are first. Trust me, if you referred to peopel down here as "Spanish" you would not be too popular. Except for that hwole "White girl with a big ass" thing. that might make up for it.

None 8/17/2006 06:25:00 PM  

My MySpace blog was mainly for coworkers. Pretty much just one liners about something that happened or bs around the office.

Nicole 8/17/2006 06:37:00 PM  

It's so funny that this came up twice today since we also discussed it after my beloved blog presentation today (went very well, thanks Ash).

But I have to say that hearing someone's blog is hosted by MySpace is almost a surefire way to keep me from ever reading it. I hate having to log in and deal with a glitchy MySpace page every time a new post is published. Guh!

Anonymous,  8/18/2006 09:46:00 AM  

o.k...........ok? scrap it then.

Ashburnite 8/18/2006 09:56:00 AM  

anon- no offense....just wasn't sure where you were going with that, and wasn't sure how to respond.

Anonymous,  8/26/2006 01:51:00 AM  

As much as I admire your writings I'll have to disagree with you on a few points. On the Spanish/African thing: I am a white American, although I speak english I do not consider myself an englishman. Most hispanic people in America know where they, their parents or grandparents have come from. Black Americans on the other hand don't, just like white Americans (for the most part we're all european mutts). On the real blog versus "fake" blog: A blog is just a place for people to voice their thoughts, opinions and stories. I don't really think it matters where or how. On your former roommate: First I think "goth" or other statements of self are what the person wants it to be, let's not judge so harshly. Second, if they wanted surgery who are you or I to choose how that person feels about themself or how they view themselves, surgery like that is a very personal decision is it not? Thirdly, woman shouldn't you be focusing your attention on more positive things other than dwelling on past men, women or otherwise! I'd love to hear more of the positive things going on with you.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP