Thank-you Mr. Spurlock

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

I've always had a very active imagination; and have always been able to visualize things pretty well. Which has come in handy on more than one occasion- particularly after seeing Super Size Me about a year and a half ago. See the minute something grosses me out, I will never go near it again, and McDonald's is no exception. Now, there were people who said that he only ate the worst things on the menu, and that there are lighter options; and one woman even went so far as to make her own documentary (can't remember the name- I didn't bother seeing it), where she only ate McDonald's (the healthier options) for a month and lost weight. I was reading about it in a magazine, and honestly, the amount of food she actually ate would have left most of us starving. Besides the fact that she missed the whole point of Spurlock's documentary. How many people go to McDonald's on a regular basis and only eat the small Fruit & Yogurt Parfait? Not very many. Now, I'm tempted, but I won't get on my soapbox about the laziness of parents who constantly take their kids to McDonald's- that isn't the point of this post.

I am very grateful to Morgan Spurlock for the documentary, because since I watched it, I have not eaten a single thing from McDonald's. The only thing I've gotten from there is a soda. Back to my ability to visualize- I'm not sure if I can accurately put it into words, but every time I think about McDonald's, I get this mental image of the fat and calories in that food. I can't really tell you all what it exactly looks like (maybe a big block of lard), but it is enough to turn my stomach. In fact, it works so well that the very smell of a McDonald's "restaurant" makes me sick. I honestly lose my appetite.

Also, if you didn't see the bonus features, please do so- they were very enlightening (so much so that I still remember them a year and a half later). One of those features actually tells you what "processed chicken" is (ie. chicken nuggets). Needless to say, it was scarring and I haven't touched any processed chicken since. Another feature showed what happens when you leave a burger and fries out at room temperature for an extended amount of time (a month or two). The fries from McDonald's looked exactly the way they did the first day- they didn't mold. Kind of makes you wonder what they do inside your body.....

Food for thought:
*Double Quarter Pounder® with Cheese- 730 calories, 40 grams of fat
*Large Fries- 570 calories, 30 grams of fat
*Chicken McNuggets® (20 piece)- 840 calories, 49 grams of fat
*Chicken Selects® Premium Breast Strips (10 pc)- 1270 calories, 66 grams of fat
*Deluxe Breakfast- 1220 calories, 61 grams of fat
*Hotcakes and Sausage- 770 calories, 33 grams of fat
*Chocolate Triple Thick® Shake (32 fl oz cup)- 1160 calories, 27 grams of fat

I'm so happy I have the ability to visualize fat and calories.

Is it any wonder why kids look like this?

19 comments:

Tara 8/15/2006 03:29:00 PM  

Just that photo of him with the fries sticking out of his mouth makes me a little nauseous. I haven't been to McDonald's in a very long time, and I didn't even see that movie. Just worked there and that was pretty much enough.

NotCarrie 8/15/2006 03:52:00 PM  

I agree with Tara about that kid, yikes! I won't deny I eat at McDonald's sometimes, but I can't say no to fries. And as it's a sometimes thing...more like rarely.

Anonymous,  8/15/2006 04:03:00 PM  

I think they should have little lumps of goo measuring 60 grams or so on their counter when you order so you can actually see how much fat you're consuming when you eat there.

It's fast, but it's not exactly food.

I actually posed a scruple on this very topic on my blog today. See what you think!

White Dade 8/15/2006 04:38:00 PM  

I ate a 20-piece mcNugget when Iw as about twelve and swore I"d never touch another one. And I've kept my word. can't say the same for the rest of the menu, though.

Nicole 8/15/2006 07:28:00 PM  

Usually I wish I could be visual like you. But when it comes to the McDonald's menu? I definitely don't. ;)

But I have to say that I eat FAR less fast food these days than I used to. We used to hit McD's maybe twice a week when I still lived in NYC. I can't say I even go there once a MONTH nowadays.

DCVita 8/15/2006 07:33:00 PM  

So true! I gave up fast food altogether years ago and I have never had the desire to eat it again. You are right, visualizing the amount of fat makes me ill. And why the hell would anyone go to McD's for a yogurt parfait or a salad? That totally defeats the purpose when there are so many better places to get 'healthier' options...whatever!

Anonymous,  8/15/2006 10:11:00 PM  

I have to say that I wasn't impressed with Supersize Me. I mean, sure, it did open the eyes of some people but it was just so .. obvious (no offense to any of those people intended).

I mean, of course someone will become unhealthy to extreme measures if they eat nothing but McDonald's for thirty days with minimal exercise. It's like saying "Hey, I found out the sky is blue!" It didn't impress me at all.

mgc 8/16/2006 01:18:00 AM  

ash, how did you get that picture of me and my brother at mcdonalds?

ps - that is my favorite hat!

Ashburnite 8/16/2006 09:50:00 AM  

tara- I can imagine that being a former McHeartattack worker would sour you on the place. I can't imagine going into work every day, smelling that.

notcarrie- If you saw that bonus feature about the fries, you may feel a little guilty. Whenever I crave them (which is rare), I just think of that, and it takes care of the craving.

ni- that is a great idea! I think if people saw the amount of fat they were eating in some kind of tangible form, they would walk away from the counter.

wd- ewww....I can't even imagine shoving 20 pieces of that processed crap down my throat...that's a lot of food.

Ashburnite 8/16/2006 09:54:00 AM  

nicole- and since you don't eat there as often, you feel much better, right? It's amazing how many calories one can consume with just a small meal there.

dcvita- seriously. Who goes there for "healthy" food? even their "healthy" choices aren't as healthy as they could be.

marie b- those of us think logically know that if you ate a steady diet of McDonald's, you would gain a lot of wieght. But I think there are people out there who don't realize just how unhealthy it is.

mgc- I thought that kid looked familiar.

Unknown 8/16/2006 11:31:00 AM  

He's got a good show on the FX Network called 30 days you should check out.

Like you I can't really eat Mcdonalds anymore, maybe once a month if I really have to because threre's nothing else around.

Sure it was obvious that fast food could kill you in "Super Size Me" but the quickness in which it broke down his body. You would last longer on a constant diet of crack!!!

It is also pretty sick that lazy parents would want to shove that kind of food down thier kid's throat. The kids in those pictures will be dead at 30.

Anonymous,  8/16/2006 01:20:00 PM  

I wish I could actually NOT enjoy the smell of McDonald's food. I know how nasty it is, but every time I smell it, I want a cheesburger.

Thank goodness there's nothing really healthy on the menu, so I don't even have a good excuse to eat there.

Washington Cube 8/16/2006 01:57:00 PM  

In a way, he did his job too well in that I wouldn't even see the film, knowing it would disgust me.

Avin 8/16/2006 02:39:00 PM  

I made my son stop eating there a long time ago. Its so unhealthy.

Ashburnite 8/16/2006 02:54:00 PM  

mike- thanks. I agree. They specifically target kids and teens, knowing how unbelievably unhealthy their food is. Guess "corporate responsibility" is a thing of the past. We don't have In & OUt Burger, but if I crave a burger, I just go to a restaurant that uses real meat.

ricardo- yeah, it's a great show. I was also suprised at how quickly and how horribly it affected his health. He was one Big Mac away from the emergency room.

mojo- I'm so happy that the smell makes me so nauseous. At least you don't eat there often.

Ashburnite 8/16/2006 02:56:00 PM  

wc- if you like McDonald's food then, yeah, you probably don't want to see the movie.

avin- good. I wish more parents would keep their kids out of there. I just don't understand parents who, knowing how unhealthy that "food" is, feed their kids a constant diet of McD's. They should be charged with neglect- like Ricardo said, their kids won't make it to 30.

KassyK 8/16/2006 06:23:00 PM  

Fantastic post. :-) Although I saw the docu and I do still crave McD's sometimes. I can't help--maybe I would not if this city had a freaking WENDY'S!! Hehe.

Beakerz 8/17/2006 09:00:00 AM  

McDonald's has a special place in my heart that resembles 'hell on earth'.

I share your hatred! Good post!

Now about Wendy's.....;)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP