Preppy Guy Appreciation

Friday, April 28, 2006

So, I know Tara has the whole calendar thing for her blog, but one major missing day is "Preppy Guy Appreciation Day." Traditionally, I was attracted to the more "GQ-style guy," or the "Punk Guy," or the "Jock," or, and one of my personal faves "The Semi-Geeky-But-Oh-So-Hot-Intellectual Guy"(like you, "friend Jason"). But more recently, I have developed an appreciation for Preppy Guys. The preppier the better. I love their little sweater-vests and button-down shirts. I love their tweed jackets. And, yes, I love the polo shirt boys- even with the popped collar. If you hang out at the country club and play cricket with Muffy, Babs, and Troy, I want you. I love your navy blazer and khaki pants. I love that you wear your Polo sweater over your shoulders. Nothing says "I"m a freak in the bedroom" like a pair of loafers and a trust fund.

I think the reason for my more recent love of these guys (I call them "Brads," since most of them are named that anyways) stems from a rather surprising crush that I have at work. Of course, I would never act on it (he's married), but I've been crushing on a co-worker lately. The guy is definitely "Mr. Company Man" and is literally wearing khaki pants and a blue blazer today. Big Yum. The thing is, I'm not sure if I would even look twice at him if it weren't for his personality. And I'm not even sure if his personality is the type that I'm normally attracted to. He would definitely never partake in any playful flirting and is always 100% appropriate. So I just don't get it. Why am I so attracted to him? Maybe it is the preppy factor. All I know is that when I see preppy men, I imagine ripping that sweater vest off of them.

So today is officially "Preppy Guy Appreciation Day." If you see one of them, grab him by his tie (or sweater vest) and plant a big sloppy kiss on him. And if it's a preppy girl that they want, well I would be happy to play dress up and reward them with this:

24 comments:

Tara 4/28/2006 11:02:00 AM  

Do I have to kiss him? Can't I just admit my appreciation for him? I like the corporate slave look. They're not as preppy looking, but they have nice pants and crisp shirts with cool ties.

Nicoel 4/28/2006 01:50:00 PM  

I think its the perceived corruption factor, and the fact that old polo shirts make fabulous restaints in the bedroom in a pinch.

I like preps because they can get away with murder/actually impress my dad because of their somewhat conservative dress.

Ashburnite 4/28/2006 02:16:00 PM  

tara- why wouldn't you want to kiss them? I too love the corporate slave look. Love a man in a suit.

GBread- hmmm...I've never tried using polo shirts for that, but I'll have to keep that one in mind. Maybe the fact that they can get away with just about anything is the draw for me- it's like the "wolf in sheeps clothing" factor.

AlienCG 4/28/2006 04:10:00 PM  

I don't wear suits, ties or sweater vests, but feel free to grab me by the sweatshirt (or t-shirt) and lay a big kiss on me. Of course, if you do that, you better be a girl.

Anonymous,  4/28/2006 04:26:00 PM  

You like preppy guys huh? Come on down to Charlottesville in between the months of August and May and you'll see more popped collars and salmon aka PINK shirts than you care to. Dade, Graig, Klueber and I used to turn down popped collars in The Tavern. My take on it is, it's not 1986 and if you're not Ted McGinley or another Alpha Beta and bullying Tri Lams, you can't pop your collar.

Oh and here's your next myspace train wreck
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=73889707&MyToken=362b1b9c-12cc-4aea-9a69-3a0f920bd2b7

White Dade 4/28/2006 04:32:00 PM  

I had an ex who used to dress like the girl in that last picture. Of course, that was only at work.

Ashburnite 4/28/2006 07:33:00 PM  

Virgle- I can always appreciate the guys that can rock both looks. I'm actually going to be out of town next weekend, so unfrtunately, I won't be able to make it. I'll have to keep my eyes open for the next one tho.

Alien- is there any doubt that I am a woman?

Ashburnite 4/28/2006 07:36:00 PM  

johnson- I'll have to keep that in mind. although, given that I live in an obscenely rich area, there are always pleanty of preppy men around for me to gawk at.
btw- that chick is DEFINITELY a trainwreck. thanks for the heads-up.

Dade- hmmm...I'm guessing she wasn't an accountant?

Anonymous,  4/28/2006 08:10:00 PM  

I never got into the preppy scene. Mainly because they never got into me.

And I'm broke.

Now a guy in a nice, corporate suit? That's another story. ;)

Anonymous,  4/28/2006 08:10:00 PM  

Oh and BLOGMAD HIT!!!

Anonymous,  4/28/2006 08:38:00 PM  

Another BlogMad hit. Man, you are a surfing genius!

Ashburnite 4/28/2006 08:45:00 PM  

nicole- damn..all of my credits are disappearing! yeah, I have a lot of credits- because I have no life and spend all of my time online.

Lebatron 4/29/2006 03:52:00 PM  

Preppy kids? That's funny. I've actually written an article on this (my latest one) that kind of touches on this. You should give it a read and tell me what you think.

Tara 4/29/2006 09:24:00 PM  

Well perhaps I need to find a "Mr. Company Man", but the guys at my company act more like slaves than suck ups, and I like that.

Anonymous,  4/30/2006 07:50:00 PM  

hi there passing through blogmad..i like ur site

mgc 5/01/2006 07:05:00 PM  

i hated that look in high school (am i dating myself?) i was a punker and we used to beat on those pink, err sorry salmon colored shirts. i did grow up, but i still prefer jeans and a t-shirt. work is botton-down with a company logo and slacks... boring!

btw - do young single women really ever get a crush on a married man? i think being married is a death sentence for another women ever thinking about me again.

Anonymous,  5/02/2006 12:04:00 PM  

Hmm thanks.. I think...

Friend Jason

Bad at Life 5/02/2006 12:58:00 PM  

Really? Popped collars? Oh Ash. Say it ain't so.

Ashburnite 5/03/2006 08:18:00 AM  

mgc- "work is botton-down with a company logo and slacks" ahhh..the corporate slave look- that's still sexy, my friend. And, yes, we do get crushes on married men- we just don't act on them.

friend Jason- trust me, it was a compliment- you are definitely a Hottie! And better yet- you're beauty & brains wrapped in one very nice package.

B@L- afraid so...I can't help it. Sorry to disappoint.

Anonymous,  5/04/2006 08:54:00 PM  

Ashburn,

Great blog by the way. If you love preppy guys there's a ton of them at www.preppyjournal.com

Tod 6/27/2006 04:21:00 PM  

Nice to see people out there still like the preppy look.


Tod
www.preppyguy.blogspot.com

Anonymous,  2/21/2007 03:30:00 PM  

uh,your comment about the freakiness factor is TOTALLY true. i went to a preppy liberal arts college and all the men there were freeeks. loved it.

Anonymous,  12/20/2010 01:31:00 AM  

I am really Glad i found this website.Added ashburnite.blogspot.com to my bookmark!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP