Blogiversary

Tuesday, July 18, 2006


It's official. I have been blogging for 1 year now. It actually seems like it's been much longer than that. One year, 173 posts (I had a slow start).

It seems this week is full of milestones. I found out about another allergy- the hard way. It seems I'm allergic to wheat gluten. Fan-fucking-tastic. I only found this out yesterday, after I ate a 100% whole wheat english muffin, then broke out in hives. Great. The thing is, I've never had a reaction to wheat bread before...guess that just goes to show that when you buy wheat bread, it really isn't whole wheat- it's white bread with a little wheat flour and flavoring, dyed to look like whole wheat. Anyways, sorry I'm boring everyone with the details of my allergies.

The other milestone- this weekend is my 10 year high school reunion. Fuck, I'm old. I'm really not looking forward to this- I hated high school and most of the people in my class. I graduated with about 140 people, and most of them were snobby white trash (not to be confused with your garden-variety white trash). I was involved in a lot of activities, but wasn't very popular. I only moved to that small hick town in the middle of bumblefuck in the third grade, after living in Germany, New Jersey, and North Carolina. So you can image what a crazy, mixing-bowl accent I had (and still have when I am too drunk to cover it up). I also knew about other cultures, which apparently isn't acceptable to rednecks. Needless to say, I was made fun of for my accent, my knowledge of other cultures/religions/etc, and the fact that I liked to dress like a girl.

When I tell people that I was a cheerleader, they immediately assume that I was popular. Definitely not true. I was also in chorus, orchestra, track, f.b.l.a, and a majorette. So basically, I was a geek.

Anyways, I saw the list of the people coming to the reunion, and I am so not happy about it. One of the people I despised with a passion, and still to this day have absolutely no desire to see, is going to be there- with her fiance. Fucking great- Audra is engaged and I am still tragically single. Also in attendance- Pete- the guy I was in love with all through high school, who I ended up hooking up with at the end of my senior year (what a let-down that was), who turned out to be a complete prick....with his wife. Wonderful.

At least one of my best friends- whom I'm still friends with (she lives in the DC area as well) is going, too. We were commiserating on the phone the other night, and decided to spin our singledom in the most positive way possible. In other words, the whole "I can do what I want, when I want" line. While people are sending in pictures of their weddings and kids, we are sending in pictures of the things that we can afford because we don't have kids. I am sending a picture of my Prada bag, and one of me in Vegas. Maybe I'll even throw in one of the $80 facial cleanser that I have. She is sending in similar pictures. May as well make the best of a shitty situation.

25 comments:

Ben 7/18/2006 09:37:00 AM  

My 10-year is coming up this october, so I feel your pain. Married with 1.5 kids as well (One will be here in December).

sammygeerock 7/18/2006 11:31:00 AM  

HAPPY BLOGIVERSARY ASHY!!!!
I didn't even go to my 10 yr reunion, instead opting for the drunken debauchery of JMU Homecoming!!

Anonymous,  7/18/2006 11:35:00 AM  

Happy 1 year. I was a nerdy cheerleader too. Although it probably didn't help that I was dropped from a stunt (I was a flyer) and had to wear a neckbrace for a month. The nickname 'Necky' stuck for years!

In terms of the reunion, you'll be one of the fabulous people there. I guarantee it.

KassyK 7/18/2006 11:38:00 AM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
KassyK 7/18/2006 11:39:00 AM  

Congrats on the blogiversary as well.
:-)

My reunion is coming up...Thanksgiving weekend...and while half my college was from my high school (I graduated with almost 500 people) and I am still close with my 6 best friends in high AND I was popular in high school (ugh I know embarrassing)...I am STILL dreading it.

I feel you. I want a drunken text message the minute you get there. Good luck...you will do great. Just be confident and fabulous.
:-)

Anonymous,  7/18/2006 12:31:00 PM  

Happy Blogiversary.

The best thing about my 10th year reunion was that the class bully had lost most of his hair.

My wife was one class behind me and I always liked her classmates better than mine, so now we just go to her reunions. At her 20th, when asked, I explained to people that I'd married into their class.

Have fun at yours Ash, Sweet is right. Anyone who doesn't immediately recognize that you're one of the most fabulous people there can suck eggs. You can tell 'em I said so.

Ashburnite 7/18/2006 12:35:00 PM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ashburnite 7/18/2006 12:35:00 PM  

ben- see? you at least have a family to show off. I have a Prada bag and some nice shoes :-)

sammy- thanks. I'm going to try to make it to PSU homecoming this year.

sweet- thanks, Necky :-). that really sucks. I'm actually suprised I never fell- I've always been such a klutz. And I'm certainly going to try to be one of the fabulous ones. Just wish I knew what to wear :-/

Ashburnite 7/18/2006 12:38:00 PM  

kassy- why am I not suprised you were popular in high school?? Although, I'm pretty sure that you were probably one of the nicer of the popular girls.

david- yeah, my class pretty much sucked ass; I was closer to people 2 years ahead of me, so once they graduated, my last 2 years of hs sucked.
And thank-you. I will tell them that :-)

Avin 7/18/2006 01:05:00 PM  

Happy Blogiversary!
Sorry I went all MIA on ya.

I didnt go to my 10 year...I didnt feel like being fake or explaining why I am not a doctor, lawyer or indian chief to a bunch of folks I didnt like 10 years ago.

White Dade 7/18/2006 01:35:00 PM  

Don't even get me started on people with fucking gluten allergies. If I had a nickel for every time someone called me and asked about that shit...oh, wait, I get a LOT more than a nickel for every time someone calls me asking about that. Still, they are all a collosal pain in the ass. Do me a favor and if you ever go to Healthway do not ask them if any of their supplements have gluten in them. I"m fucking tired of answering that question.

And kudos to you for spinning your singledom into a positive. I ALWAYS see it as a positive. I just wish I had a little more Prada.

minijonb 7/18/2006 01:55:00 PM  

happy blogiversary!!!

i went to my 5 year high school reunion and then i made the mistake of going to my 10 year. it was a carbon copy of the 5 year reunion. go (you'll kick yourself if you don't) but don't build up expectations either way.

besides, the bar night wednesday before thanksgiving is an unoffical reunion night in my hometown anyway.

Tara 7/18/2006 02:09:00 PM  

Congratulations on your blogiversary! Here's to more blog posts!

I didn't go to my 10 year reunion. I meant to, but by the end of the day I thought of the fact that it was going to be in a sports bar and very crowded, I decided against it. Most of the people I knew in high school were so not worth the effort or drive.

Beakerz 7/18/2006 02:18:00 PM  

HAPPY BLOGIVERSARY!!!

I skipped my 10-year. Will skip the 15, 20, etc. Hell, I wasn't even gonna go to prom, but I didn't wanna let this girl down when she asked.

Anyway, HB

Beakerz 7/18/2006 02:19:00 PM  

oh yea. and a friend of mine is allergic to all wheat products too.

Prolly sucks as bad as my being allergic to peanuts, but who knows.

Ashburnite 7/18/2006 02:52:00 PM  

avin- was wondering where you disappeared to. I am currently trying to figure out how to be social and nice to people I hated without being fake.

pop- haha....did your friend ever consider, I don't know, not smoking? just a thought....
just kidding...I am seriously trying to figure out how to deal with this, since everything has gluten.

wd- I'm sorry. I think I may now be a part of that group. and the more I read about it, the more I'm realizing that avoiding it is going to mean a change in lifestyle. fuck. no bread, pasta, beer, anything with artificial flavoring, etc. basically anything good. I'll be stuck with a diet of unseasoned chicken and skim milk. yuck.

AlienCG 7/18/2006 05:49:00 PM  

Happy Anniversary, Ashburnite. May you have many more years of blogging goodness.

Unknown 7/18/2006 07:22:00 PM  

Happy anniversary!!

I avoided my high school reunion. Very brave of you to press on with it.

Anonymous,  7/18/2006 08:05:00 PM  

Happy Blog Anniversay, Ash!

Mine actually passed sometime in June yet I did nothing to celebrate it. Congrats on making it this long without burning out. ;)

Kirsten 7/19/2006 07:46:00 AM  

hey ash...HAPPY BLOGAVERSARY!!! A whole year, huh?...well, lord knows your definately better than most...lol...and your ten year, huh?? Yeah.. I hear ya... I went to my ten year...ten years ago..lmao..this month is my 20 year...at first I was looking forward to it...now?...not soo much,...so, Im probably not gonna go...but if you do decide to go, try to make the best of it...if you decide not too...well...don't sweat it...whatever...have fun..and take care girl
:)Just me

Anonymous,  7/19/2006 11:50:00 AM  

Congratulations on your blogiversary and good luck with your reunion. If it makes you feel a little better I recently got asked to go to a friend's reunion as a "backup" date in case he can't convince the girl of his dreams to go with him. He actually told me he'd give me money to "buy a dress and clean up a bit". The worst thing about this story is that I actually said I would go.. *smacks forehead*

FW 7/19/2006 05:52:00 PM  

Congrats on the year of blogging, I'm looking forward to reading you in year 2.
Personally, reunions are exactly the kind of shitfest that I can't stand. However, if you go with a friend it might be a hoot to see if the movers and shakers have settled down or not.
Can you still eat chocolate? That would be so depressing.

Anonymous,  7/19/2006 10:20:00 PM  

congratulations on the one year anniversay!!!!!

Anonymous,  8/02/2006 08:44:00 PM  

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP