Fashion Sense

Sunday, July 09, 2006

So I finally went and saw The Devil Wears Prada. Good, movie, but they were very creative with the story line. There were quite a few details that didn't follow the book (like the entire ending). But still worth seeing. And afterwards I had the uncontrollable urge to shop. I also realized that I have horrible fashion sense. Kassy wrote about the same thing the other day. The difference between a New York fashion sense and a DC fashion sense. I fit in (on most days) and look pretty decent here in DC, but I think if I moved to NYC, I would look horribly out of place.

The problem is, though, that in order to look half-way decent in some of the clothing, one has to be a size 4 (at the most). And I am not a size 4 (unfortunately). And I think that even if I never ate another bite, I would never be a size 4.....I just don't have that body-type. I was a size 4 senior year of high school, but that was thanks to a severely fucked-up body image and a serious aversion to food. And I looked horrible. There aren't a lot of pictures of me from that time, because after I packed on a few pounds and realized how horrible I looked, I destroyed most of the pics. I just don't have the body-type. Which is why I couldn't wear half of the outfits from the movie. But I can adopt some of the style....which is what I plan on doing. I'm going to stick to the classics. Clean lines, the right fit, and lots of black. And I am going to suck it up and start wearing the uncomfortable stilletos that have been sitting in the back of my closet.

9 comments:

KassyK 7/09/2006 07:30:00 PM  

YAY! You saw it and although I have not read the book (and I am a huge reader) I heard they made a lot of changes.

The fashion is just so awesome in this movie. The chicness and how its also so original and eclectic. I actually have a similar body type to Anne H (tall and boobs and hips and thin but not SKINNY) and she is super white like me and I almost went to the salon and got my hair Japanese straigtened and cut thick bangs and dyed it black and then took a step back.

AHAHA bc I commute there is no way in hell I can dress like that but if I had a car...I would 100%. :-)

minijonb 7/09/2006 07:58:00 PM  

I tried to read the book, but gave up halfway through when someone spoiled the ending for me. I can't believe it took the protagonist (and the author) that freakin' long to just tell her shitty boss to fuck off.

Now I guess I'll have to see the movie since y'all are raving about it.

ash... 'bout your body-type/fashion issue... I think we're on the same page here. Just repeat after me: "Why should I care what other people think." There... don't you feel better now?

minijonb 7/10/2006 11:23:00 AM  

ash... hey sweetie, you made my 2006 blogging allstar team!

Kirsten 7/10/2006 12:47:00 PM  

I really enjoyed the book alot...and I had heard that the movie was alot different....but I will still see the movie, knowing ahead of time definately helps...as for those body types, well...i have my own type...lol...and we have had this conversation many times about body size....lol...besides, your beautiful no matter what you wear, just always remember that...talk to ya later...
:)Just me

None 7/10/2006 01:02:00 PM  

Haven't heard much about this flick.

And BlogMad hit.

Ashburnite 7/10/2006 08:00:00 PM  

kassy- if you have a similar body type, I now hate you :-). just kidding..I'm just jealous.

mjb- you should finish the book...it was really good. and I'm trying not to care about what people think about me...but I've always wanted acceptance...we've discussed this before. I have a "need to please." :-)

rebecca- you're right. The book was better, but it was def worth seing the movie.

Ashburnite 7/10/2006 08:03:00 PM  

mjb- yeah, I saw..thanks.

kirsten- I just keep telling myself- "it's Hollywood. they aren't real people."

cody- yeah, I guess the guys where you're stationed aren't really talking about a movie about fashion.

V- she did play that role really well, didn't she?

NotCarrie 7/11/2006 02:58:00 PM  

I had forgotten how the book ended...I need to go reread it.

Anonymous,  7/11/2006 09:20:00 PM  

I lived in NYC for eight years and looked like utter GARBAGE for at least four of 'em.

I don't know where the hell my head was at when I first got there. I just didn't care what I looked like when I left the dorm and it showed.

It finally hit me like a ton of bricks senior year that I was a girl and might like to try dressing like one.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP