Irrationally Stable

Friday, July 21, 2006

So I've been doing the gluten-free thing for a few days now, and although I miss bread and pasta, I have to admit- I feel 100% better. Even my mood has changed. I'm actually happy and even (gasp) cheerful. I haven't been irritable or moody at all.

After the reaction that I had the other day, I started looking into Celiac Disease (gluten allergy), and started realizing that a LOT of the symptoms I've had for quite a while are actually symptoms of Celiac. IBS, depression, acid reflux, skin irritations, mood swings, inability to lose weight, etc are all symptoms things that I've had to put up with for a few years now, and it's just amazing that in just 3 days, most of those things are gone. I am now irrationally stable. I've been so hyper that I'm scaring my co-workers and friends. All this time, I thought that the moodiness and irritability were just a part of my personality and I (and everyone around me) would just have to deal with it.

The downside- I cannot have bread, pasta, or anything made with flour. Ever. Pasta has been the main dish in my diet. I love pasta. I am constantly experimenting with different pasta dishes. That has to change. I'll miss it, but it's a small price to pay, I guess. I'm going to look at it this way: I can either eat pasta and look and feel the way I did; or I can not eat pasta and (potentially) lose a lot of weight and feel the way I do now. I guess it's worth it. Unfortunately, though, this diet is going to be a pain in the ass. I am going to have to start reading every ingredient on every label. And yes, White Dade, I am going to have to be one of those fucking "gluten-free" people. Sorry hun, but I promise not to call you and ask which supplements are gluten-free.

Anyways, sorry to bore everyone with my medical history, but I am just so excited about how I feel that I thought I'd share. That, and the fact that I couldn't think of anything to write about today.

I'm off to the country for my reunion, but I'll update Sunday when I get back. Hopefully I'll have lots of pictures off all of the assholes from my class looking like shit. I hope they're all fat :-).

21 comments:

E :) 7/21/2006 09:49:00 AM  

You can buy gluten free pasta! http://www.glutenfree.com/glu/showprod.cfm?&DID=7&CATID=1&ObjectGroup_ID=41

Nicoel 7/21/2006 10:28:00 AM  

I'm almost certain a lot of the spelt breads are gluten free.

I used to work at an organic grocery so a lot of the clientele either had extreme allergies or was insanely wealthy and didn't mind paying a premium for bread and soups and the like

Nicoel 7/21/2006 10:29:00 AM  

Here's a link to info about spelt bread

Tara 7/21/2006 10:49:00 AM  

Congratulations on your irrational stability! :) I'm glad you're feeling better, too!

sammygeerock 7/21/2006 10:52:00 AM  

Stability isn't all it's cracked up to be, but I'm sure the feeling good thing is. Does this elminate rice from ur diet? Like the rice thats wrapped in nori with delectiable raw fish? MMMMM Sushi!

KassyK 7/21/2006 10:54:00 AM  

I am so glad that you are feeling better!! YAY!! While it stinks to cut out pasta...if it makes you feel better then its worth it and soon you will get used to it. I quit smoking and if I can do that--you can do this. :-) Although I feel you--my food vice? Starches and fried food. YUM.

KassyK 7/21/2006 10:54:00 AM  

PS Good luck and have fun this weekend!! :-)

Ashburnite 7/21/2006 10:54:00 AM  

e- oohh..thanks. yay!!

g-bread- I'll have to check out that link. thanks.

tara- haha...thanks.

sammy- thank gawd no. I just can't use soy sauce.

Ashburnite 7/21/2006 10:55:00 AM  

kassy- thanks. at least it'll be easier to cut out pasta, since I absolutely have to.

None 7/21/2006 11:20:00 AM  

Glad you're feeling better.

minijonb 7/21/2006 12:56:00 PM  

i'm with sammygeerock... stabilty is waayyy overrated. enjoy your new gluten free life... and have have fun documenting your reunion!

NotCarrie 7/21/2006 02:55:00 PM  

Wow, that's fascinating. I need to look into that.

mgc 7/22/2006 02:04:00 AM  

good for you! i don't know if i could do without pizza though.that would be the toughest.

keep it up!

Ben 7/22/2006 06:48:00 AM  

If that's you in the profile pic, I wouldnt worry about losing weight. Yowza!

I just started to trim down myself. I walk to work, home for lunch, back to work, and home from work each day. I also gave up soda and fruit juices (making the liquids I drink 80% water, 15% coffee, 5% beer).

Works so far, and I still get to enjoy food!

Beakerz 7/22/2006 11:09:00 AM  

While it's a pain in the ass, there are many a health benefit (other than not being sick) to not eating pasta, but I am sorry that you might have to go through what I do.

Everywhere I go, if I suspect the slightest possibility of a peanut coming close to my food, I have to ask. I get the strangest looks and then the person has to run back to the kitchen and assure me that, yes indeed, the chicken and rice doesn't have peanuts. (I had the cous-cous at Houstons once and went into shock because, you guessed it. ....as an aside, who the hell puts peanuts in cous-cous?!?!)

Well, good luck with this adjustment. If I can do this crap, you sound like a strong enough person to deal with this.

I can't wait to hear the question at a table near me 'Is this gluten free?'

Anonymous,  7/22/2006 01:51:00 PM  

Wow, I'm glad you got to the root of your problem. That's awesome! I haven't experienced many of the symptoms that you have (outside of the inability to lose much weight -- HAHA) but I wonder what health benefits I might experience if I had the will power to cut gluten from my diet.

You're my hero!

Wait, does this mean no more Chipotle?? ;)

FW 7/22/2006 04:21:00 PM  

Wow, I'm impressed with the effects after so little time. I know someone with similar symptoms, I'm thinking maybe she should try the same thing.

Anonymous,  7/22/2006 07:35:00 PM  

It may take some getting used to - a gluten-free diet at home may be a big change, but you have control. It's harder to do when you're out because menus don't always identify ingredients. You'll find restaurants that are sensitive to the problem, and waitstaff that are knowledgeable about ingredients, but it will take some effort. Well worth it, though, as you've discovered. Glad you learned this and are feeling better so quickly!

Anonymous,  7/23/2006 05:17:00 PM  

BlogMad hit!

White Dade 7/24/2006 04:14:00 PM  

IT's funny...we used to deal with this chiropractor who basically said grains were responsible for most problems people had. Maybe he was right.

Omni 7/24/2006 08:10:00 PM  

White Dade, it could well be true; grain is NOT part of the diet we evolved to eat, so eating a bunch of it could cause all sorts of weird things to happen in our bodies.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP